Tuesday 20 November 2012

BBC Blog Annabel Veron and Me



A blog was run by the BBC during the Olympics to give the reader an idea of what goes on behind the scenes of an athlete.  The blogger was Annabel Veron a rower who was part of the Women’s 8.

Photo Zimbo

She is an accomplished athlete and in the Olympic final her boat and crew came 5th. The blog starts months before the Olympics and documents the trials and tribulations which she went through.  Some of her experiences I could relate to, these include
·         The “bitter, wrenching, shocking disbelief of failure” of not achieving what everyone expected me to do.
·         A part of being a strong squad of “ambitious, passionate women (me: team) who are great fun to be around”.
Admittedly my experiences are at a lower level but they are no less poignant. The below quote appeared in her final blog post; the one where she is putting up her oars for the final time.



It has such an effect on me that I keep re-reading it.

Maybe it was because at one stage I was working towards my dream. I was 15 and pushing Essex squad.  For whatever reason it didn’t happen and I admit I have been reminiscing about my experiences ever since (sorry team). 

That is the cusp of my first point will never allow me again to say that I spend every day working towards my dreams” 

What has actually stopped me from working towards my dream? The list is effectively endless as it is human nature to produce reasons. What I can say now is that none seem reasonable enough and I hope that “whatever I do next, however rewarding it may be,” it will be towards my dream. Times are a changing you could call it the Olympic effect. 

This brings me to the final point of this post; can “I spend every day working towards my dreams?” 

Well reality of work, life and other commitments means it can’t be every hour of every day. But I can do more, there is always more.

But thanks to the Olympics and support support of my girlfriend, family, teammates and friends. I am shooting more and enrolled on an lvl 2 coaching course.

There is also still time as one of the UK squad is aged 50+ and the longevity of archers at the top flight is quite good.  Allison Williamson for example was competing in her 5 Olympics in 2012 and is unlikely to retire any time soon.

So to end this start, thanks Annabel for writing your blog and sharing your feelings.  I aim emulate your blog and use this as a platform to talk about my feelings and viewpoints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment