Friday 5 April 2013

The anguish of Archery/Sport


Well it is now gone 9pm and I am back in the house with my girlfriend.  She has had a busy day doing the chores and garden. She has done everything, even ironed my shirt ready for work tomorrow. Without that support I wouldn’t be here on the computer.

For my day, well I can’t really say the same.  I shot below my average and the team came second.  Overall, I am pretty disappointed with my performance. It’s easy to beat yourself up over it and think it was you who let down the team.

For the top athletes it can sometimes feel like you have let the country down. I mean Rebecca Adlington was incredibly emotional after coming 3rd in the Olympics [1].

This is the flip side of sport.  All that effort and practice can amount to nothing.  It is so easy to say it is worth it with a medal around your neck.  But spare a thought for the people who put all the effort in and don’t make it or have careers cruelly cut short though illness and injury. 
These people rarely reach the headlines and if it does it is often tragic. Take Fabrice Muamba who collapsed during a football match on the 27th of March [2].

He has never played again and has had to change his lifestyle completely.

Yet for the rest of us we cannot dwell on these tragedies.  It is back to the training field to perfect my technique and in a fortnight’s time I will try again at another competition.  This time it will be worth it.

Hmm I wonder if my girlfriend will make me another cup of tea for the journey?

Good night. 

References
[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19122451
[2]http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4201593/Tottenham-v-Bolton-FA-Cup-tie-abandoned-after-Fabrice-Muamba-collapses.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment